Tuesday, September 15, 2009

President Carter's statements about racism and Obama.

CARTER: RACE PLAYS ROLE IN OBAMA DISLIKE

Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:44 PM by Mark Murray
Filed Under: ,

From NBC's Mark Murray
In an interview with NBC's Brian Williams, former Democratic President Jimmy Carter attributed much of the conservative opposition that President Obama is receiving to the issue of race.

"I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man," Carter said. "I live in the South, and I've seen the South come a long way, and I've seen the rest of the country that share the South's attitude toward minority groups at that time, particularly African Americans."

Carter continued, "And that racism inclination still exists. And I think it's bubbled up to the surface because of the belief among many white people, not just in the South but around the country, that African-Americans are not qualified to lead this great country. It's an abominable circumstance, and it grieves me and concerns me very deeply."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I have for sometime felt Race has been a big issue with Obama. Now, not everyone with a criticism of Obama is a racist. And I would caution against wantonly accusing someone of being a Racist. It's a terrible accusation when untrue because it shapes peoples opinions.

That being said, I do feel that it is a fair question to ask. If conservatives were to argue policy points and things of that nature, well, that's certainly fair game. But I really haven't heard any actual debate from the right wing. The only thing they keep saying is "We have to stop the government takeover of healthcare". But at no point in time do they tell you why they feel this way. They don't tell you what they think should be done. Just what shouldn't be. That's not leadership. That's Cowardice! And it is certainly fair to question it's root causes, and to wonder if they are racist.

15 years ago, Then First Lady, Hillary Clinton attempted to reform healthcare conservatives argued policy points. They challenged the Democrats, and they won (like it or not). Today, they organize protests of people who show up with guns, and hold up signs saying "We want 'our' country back!". Which country is that? the Jim Crow, "Separate But Equal" country? The Slavery country? The Pre-Civil Rights Country?

I want the country we were promised as kids. The one where everyone is equal. I want the "Good Old Days" when one member of the family worked a career and was able to buy a house, and a new car, and send all of his kids to college, and had enough money to retire at 60. Except I want it for everyone. Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, Gay, Straight......EVERYONE

It's time to move forward. There are things we can all do. Start opening up ourselves to other communities. Stop comparing anyone to Hitler. Start voting for regular people to elected office. Remove the Confederate Flag (No other losing side is allowed to incorporate their treasonous banner into the public).


Forward, not backwards.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am married and I am a proud father. I have family that I love, and friends that are family. I am very opinionated.